Need help planning what to do in London for the early May bank holiday? Don’t panic – we’ve put together some handy suggestions below to help you make the most of it! And for those of you looking to add a touch of luxury to your long weekend, be sure to check out the best available rates at any of our 17 centrally-located properties, as well as Ajala Spa’s indulgent Aroma Weekends package.
Foodie Friday (29th April)
The bank holiday weekend begins on Friday evening, and what better way to kick things off than with a tasty street feast, courtesy of Southbank Centre!
- Head down to the SC Food Market before 8pm to indulge in delicious culinary delights and fresh quality produce from around the world. Don’t worry if you can’t make it down on the Friday though, these stalls will be lining the Thames til Monday evening.
Shakespearean Saturday (30th April)
2016 marks the 400th anniversary of Shakespeare’s death, with countless events taking place around the capital to commemorate the late great bard. Here are just a few of the ways you can celebrate Shakespeare400 this bank holiday…
- Visit the bard’s iconic stage to see the opening night of A Midsummer Night’s Dream. Members of our loyalty programme, Revarew, can buy tickets for selected performances at the Globe using their points, plus we offer special accommodation rates to Shakespeare’s Globe audiences at our nearby Grange St. Paul’s and Grange City Hotels!
- Catch a glimpse of everyday life as it was in Shakespeare’s London, with personal items from the Museum of London’s Tudor and Stuart collection on display - as mentioned in some of the playwright's works. Click here to find out more. Revarew members can also enjoy 15% off the Museum of London’s walking tours here.
- Don't miss Nell Gwynn’s closing night at the Apollo Theatre, following a successful run at Shakespeare’s Globe last year. Read our review of the famous wooden ‘O’ performance here.
Springtime Sunday (1st May)
Sunday 1st May, also known as May Day, is most commonly associated with the transition from spring to summer – so let’s hope the sun is shining! One of the most beautiful parts of this transition is the incredible plants and flowers which will be sprouting up over the coming months, and with the RHS Chelsea Flower Show not far away, we think it’s time to venture out into the great outdoors and take in some of these sweet seasonal scents!
- Head to Kew Gardens for crocuses and cherry blossom; Richmond Park for azaleas; St James’ Park and Kensington Gardens for tulips; Regent’s Park for roses; and Hampstead Heath for wisteria.
Monument Monday (2nd May)
The bank holiday weekend is a great excuse to head out and experience the many landmarks of London! Here are some fun and easy ways to take in the city’s best-loved sights, taking advantage of some exclusive discounts as you go…
- Take a ride along the River Thames with City Cruises – all Revarew members receive 20% off, just quote 'Grange Hotels' when booking over the phone.
- Travel around the city on two wheels with Tally Ho! Cycle Tours – Revarew members can enjoy 35% off the London Landmarks Tour by quoting “Revarew" when booking!