The first church was the built between 1306 and 1327 as the conventual church of the Franciscan monastery which stood on the site. The Franciscans were known as the Greyfriars due to the grey habits they wore. Following the Dissolution of the Monasteries, in 1538 King Henry VIII gifted the church to the City. The neighbouring monastery buildings were later used by Christ's Hospital.
The church was destroyed in the Great Fire of London in 1666. It was rebuilt on a smaller scale under the direction of Sir Christopher Wren, in the neo-classical style that came to be known as the English Baroque. The unused space became the churchyard.
The church was severely damaged in the Blitz on December 29, 1940, during the Second World War. In the re-organisation of the Anglican Church in London, in 1949, it was decided not to rebuild Christ Church. Its parish was merged with that of St Sepulchre-without-Newgate.
The steeple, damaged during the Blitz, was repaired in 1960. Along with the repaired vestry building, it now houses commercial offices. Of the rest of the church only the north and south walls remain; the east wall was demolished during road widening works. The churchyard and the ruins of the church are now public gardens.
Christs Church Font CoverA finely carved wooden font cover was the only fitting saved from the bombing of 1940, when an unknown postman ran into the burning church to retrieve it. The font cover is now housed in the porch of St Sepulchre's.